Page 38 - Manistique Visitor Guide - 2023
P. 38

Continued from page 38
Manistique Visitors Guide
operated by the Gulliver Historical Society in cooperation with the DNR and is open Memorial Day through mid-October from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., seven days a week.
obtained at the park office. Several old artifacts may be viewed on the harbor bottom under proper conditions.
Call (906) 283-3183. (Directions: From the junction of US-2 and County Road 432 in Gulliver, go south on County Road 432 (Point Inland Road) about 4 miles to gravel road/ County Road 431. Turn right (west) onto County Road 431 and go about 4 miles to the lighthouse.)
Indian Lake Golf Course
Indian Lake Golf Course has a full 18 holes of golf to offer. Its beautiful location overlooking Indian Lake is an added treat for golfers enjoying its superbly conditioned fairways and greens.
Fayette, on the Garden Peninsula, is all about history.
The golf club is open to the public. Call ahead for tee times at 906-341-5600.
About 500 people lived in Fayette while smelt- ing iron for the Jackson Iron Company from 1867 to 1891.
Bishop Baraga Shrine
Frederic Baraga (1797 - 1868), also called the “Snowshoe Priest,” left his comfortable home in Slovenia in 1832 to begin his missionary work in the Great Lakes region. On May 15, 1932, the Rev- erend Fredrick Baraga blessed his first church on Indian Lake. It was built with the enthusiastic help of the local Chippewa Indians and dedicated “To the honor of God under the name and patronage of His Virgin-
Bishop Frederic Baraga
United States Library of Congress
Many displays are open and others are con- stantly being updated. One of the displays is a laborer’s cabin, which is the only completely rebuilt structure in the town that features an opera house, hotel, charcoal and lime kilns, furnace complex, grain elevator site and homes. The old kiln site is an excellent location for taking photographs, including old-time wedding scenes.
“It is one of the premier company towns (in the country) we still have left,” said park supervisor Randy Brown. “This is one of the best portrayed of those kind of towns.”
For details, call the park office 906-644- 2603.
   Twenty restored buildings highlight an easy walking tour of this Michigan Historical Museum field site located in a state park, which is 17 miles south on M-183 from Gar- den Corners on US-2.
Approximately five miles of hiking trails — also available for cross country skiing in the winter — wind throughout the historic site and through a hardwood forest providing fantastic glimpses of adjoining Snail Shell Harbor or Big Bay de Noc.
Another highlight is hiking atop the Fayette bluff for a scintillating view of the harbor and townsite. The blue water and sky and the white limestone cliffs also provide excellent photo opportunities. Snail Shell Harbor is an enticing venue for rafting or kayaking. Scuba diving is also available, but only through a permit |

   36   37   38   39   40